Here are a few tips to get your website to move up Google's ranks:
1. A lot of people get hung up on posting their links on sites that have high PR. High PR is important but keep in mind that there are quite a few sites at the top of Google's search engine rankings that don't have high PR. This indicates that content and backlinks are every bit as important as having a high PageRank.
2. Get links on sites that have content similar to your site. Related links will move you up the ranks faster. If you have a bass fishing site, getting a link on a gangster rap site isn't going to help you much.
3. Include title tags on each page. Search engines love title tags. Make sure your title tags include the keywords for your page.
4. Make sure terms people are likely to search for appear within the text on your page. Having keyword rich content on your pages helps a lot with rankings.
5. Do your research. Moving up the ranks for a term with a million exact matches is going to be a difficult undertaking. Instead of picking a broad keyword, target a string of keywords that is likely to be searched for and doesn't have a lot of Google exact matches. To see how many exact matches there are for a keyword search for the term in Google with " " around the phrase or term.